Friday, February 6, 2009

"He must become greater; I must become less."

Yesterday, I was talking with a co-worker and mentioned that I thought the reason I continued to work in social services was because it kept me humble. Every day at InterServ, I see what happens when people elevate the needs of others--especially the poor and disadvantaged--above their own. The result is always much more than I could ever have imagined. The Souper Bowl of Caring is a classic example.

We have had an amazing and wonderful drama unfolding this week at InterServ. Each year for the past several years, local churches undertake a challenge on Souper Bowl Sunday. No, I didn't spell that wrong--it really is SOUPER Bowl Sunday, a day when churches in the area rally the troops, martial the resources and deliver the goods. "The goods" amount to thousands of cans of soup donated to the InterServ Food Pantry to feed the hungry. This year, it's beginning to look like the churches really outdid themselves.

The full effect of the "Souper Bowl of Caring" will not be felt until next week, but churches are well on their way to doubling the donation they made last year. This weekend, four churches will present their offerings at Hy-Vee on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. The report is that it is more than 25,000 cans of soup! Other churches have reported in preliminary totals bringing our tentative total to nearly 40,000 cans of soup! Our goal was 20,000 and $5,000 in cash.

Each day, I receive from our volunteers and our donors and our clients, as well, a lesson in being Christ-like, in putting others before ourselves. They show rather than tell us that it's not about us. In everything we do, we should point the way to God. That takes humility.

"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30

1 comment:

Laurie J said...

What a wonderful expression of thanks to God for the many blessings we often take for granted! I am proud to be part of a community that cares that there are hungry people in our midst, and who take it upon themselves to do something about it!